Thursday, January 15, 2009

Powershell - The Love / Hate Relationship

Powershell is Microsoft’s new scripting language and command shell. It is an Object oriented scripting language. Most of Microsoft’s products are manageable with it. It is extremely powerful but has a steep learning curve. I love what all I can do with it. It seems like I am learning more every day. However I have so much to learn about it. I have been able to do things like get a network inventory of all of our workstations including manufacturer, serial number, logged in user, processor, RAM. I could go on and on. I have used the Quest AD cmdlets to add every users phone number to their AD account. With as great as all of this is I waste so much time trying to get the scripts to work. Sometimes it would be easier to manually put information into AD instead of scripting it.

I will be posting some of my scripts and utilities I use to work with Powershell as I learn.

You can download Powershell version one here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/download.mspx

No comments: